When I joined 1Password at the beginning of 2022, I immediately recognized the value that the company places on its employees, its customers, and its community.
With the support of our employees, we are fortunate to be able to give back and support important initiatives around the world.
Our employee survey this year showed that over 80% of employees agreed 1Password is taking action to address issues of fairness, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Alongside our employees, we’re proud to support a range of important causes around the world. We know there is more to do, but we are truly excited to continue building on the partnerships we’ve built.
Here are some of the ways we worked to make a difference this year.
Standing with Ukraine 🇺🇦
1Password stands with the brave citizens and leaders of Ukraine who are defending their homes and values. Earlier this year, we showed our support in a few different ways: pledging to match employee donations up to $50,000 USD, and standing with other Canadian business leaders in a letter to the Prime Minister in support of Ukraine.
- We matched employee donations to the International Committee of the Red Cross, an organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence.
- We also matched employee donations to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, an organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people.
- Using our internal rewards system, Bonusly, our team could donate to the International Rescue Committee, an organization helping people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover, and rebuild their lives.
Caring for our environment 🌳
Finding new ways to help the planet and the people around us is some of the most important work we do here at 1Password, so we wanted to continue to work towards making a positive impact for our environment this year:
- We partnered with Sustainable Ocean Alliance, a global community working together to solve the greatest challenges facing our ocean, for an Ocean Bottle giveaway.
- We donated to Evertreen, an organization that helps people and businesses plant real trees, offset Co2, and alleviate poverty.
Truth and Reconciliation 🧡
September 30th is National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada. We closed our virtual offices for all Canadian employees to honor Indigenous survivors, their families, and their communities, and to set aside time for our teams to get involved in their local community to promote reconciliation. Additionally, we donated to organizations working to recognize the legacy of the Canadian residential school system:
- Orange Shirt Society, a non-profit organization creating awareness of the individual, family, and community intergenerational impacts of Indian Residential Schools.
- The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, a place of learning and dialogue where the truths of Residential School Survivors, families, and communities are honored and kept safe for future generations.
Supporting gender equality 💪
We’re committed to gender equality, reproductive rights, and inclusion for everyone. This year, we made donations to organizations working to empower girls and women both in the workplace and beyond:
- Girls Who Code, an organization working to close the gender gap in technology and to change the image of what a programmer looks like and does.
- Canadian Women’s Foundation, a national leader in the movement for gender equality in Canada, supporting women, girls, and gender-diverse people to move out of violence and poverty and into confidence and leadership.
On the heels of the historic decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, we wanted to ensure that we were not only supporting our team members through changes to our benefit programs, but also supporting the organizations ensuring safe access to reproductive healthcare in the United States:
- Planned Parenthood and the United State of Women, two organizations supporting health care and reproductive rights.
Championing diversity 🤝
This year, we leaned on our employee resource groups (ERGs) to gather information on what organizations would benefit from our donations throughout the year. In starting this conversation, we were able to contribute to three important organizations doing work to support underrepresented group in tech as well as an organization providing opportunities for young people:
- Black Girls Code, an organization working to build pathways for young women of color to embrace the current tech marketplace as builders and creators by introducing them to skills in computer programming and technology.
- /dev/color, a global career accelerator for Black software engineers, technologists, and executives – as well as the go-to accountability partner for the companies who invest in, employ, and are led by them.
- Scratch Foundation, an organization working to spread collaborative and equitable approaches to coding and learning around the world, while providing young people with digital tools and opportunities to imagine, create, share, and learn.
Showing Pride 🏳️🌈
Many of our 1Password team members are part of the LGBTQ+ community, so it’s crucial to us as a company to be allies. This year, alongside our internal initiatives, we donated to several organizations making an impact for the LGBTQ+ community:
- The Trevor Project, a suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ+ youth.
- Rainbow Railroad, an organization that helps LGTBQ+ people facing persecution based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex characteristics.
- Pflag Canada, a nonprofit organization which brings together family and friends of LGBTQ+ people to help themselves and their extended family understand and accept LGBTQ+ family members.
Investing in our community 🚀
Whether supporting mental health initiatives, or ensuring that our broader communities had access to healthy food options throughout the year, 1Password supported a number of organizations across the United States and Canada through both financial and volunteer time donations:
- Canadian Mental Health Association, a national leader in working to create a Canada where mental health is a universal human right.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, a leader in research and treatments focused on defeating childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
To celebrate Thanksgiving, we donated to three different organizations woking to make a difference:
- Food Banks Canada, an organization helping those across Canada living with food insecurity by relieving hunger today and preventing hunger tomorrow in collaboration with the food bank network.
- Second Harvest, an organization creating an efficient food recovery network, reducing the environmental impact of food waste while ensuring that everyone – regardless of their economic situation – is able to feed themselves and their family.
- United Way Centraide, working across Canada to make change locally, creating opportunities for everyone in our communities to live a better life by reducing poverty, supporting children and youth, and building vibrant neighborhoods.
I’m extremely proud of the work our team has accomplished in 2022 but I know that our work is never done. We have so many opportunities in 2023 to continue making an impact with organizations like those we’ve mentioned who are doing important work that champions causes close to our hearts.
Thank you for supporting 1Password and helping to make initiatives like these possible. We already have a lot planned for 2023, from supporting our employees to our various communities and partners. We’re looking forward to all that we accomplish – together.